Are you interested in the many benefits of satin pillowcases for the health of your hair and skin but aren’t sure whether they are worth the hype?
Satin pillowcases are a fantastic addition to the routine of anyone who is invested in the health of their skin and hair and make a fantastic affordable alternative to silk pillowcases. Great for everything from protecting from allergens to preventing wrinkles, it’s not hard to see why satin is quickly becoming the pillowcase material of choice.
In this article, we cover everything you need to know about satin pillowcases, from whether they are a worthy purchase to what you should look for when purchasing.
The Best Satin Pillowcases
Are satin pillowcases worth buying?
Satin pillowcases are definitely worth buying if you are someone who enjoys indulging in skin and hair care and wants to continue caring for your hair and skin while you sleep. For anyone who likes to invest in products for their skin and hair, a satin pillowcase can be a great extension of this to help protect your hair and skin.
What is good about satin pillowcases?
Satin pillowcases are a great option for your hair, particularly if you want something that requires little work on your part. Satin produces less friction, meaning it helps you to avoid the breakages and knots that can be created by tossing and turning during your sleep. A satin pillowcase can also help to protect your hairstyle overnight.
Satin is also great for your skin. As it is a particularly soft and smooth material, your skin is protected from the friction that can cause fine lines and wrinkles while you sleep. Satin also does not absorb moisture, meaning it will not sap away the oils that keep your skin moisturised, helping to keep your skin hydrated and healthy overnight.
As satin attracts fewer allergens like dust, satin pillowcases are typically better options for anyone who suffers from allergies. With other materials like cotton, allergens like these can become trapped within the material and set off allergies while you sleep. For anyone who suffers with allergies, satin might be a better option to avoid trapping allergens.
1. Bedsure Satin Pillow Cases
- Premium Quality - Bedsure satin pillow covers provide resilient feel...
- Beautiful Hair Tricks - Bedsure satin pillowcase creates less friction...
- Facial Beauty Mystery - Satin pillow cases for skin provide a perfect...
- Excellent value
- Amazon’s top rated
- Available in a wide range of colours
- May not be as effective as silk pillowcases
The Bedsure Satin pillowcases are an affordable yet high quality pair of pillowcases. At the time of writing they are ranked at the top of the Amazon best sellers list for pillowcases. Gaining over 27,000 ratings they are well loved by customers. Over 85% of these ratings are 4 or 5 stars. Some highlights from customer reviews include ‘’Lovely soft good quality pillowcases. Would definitely recommend.’’ and ‘’Bought these a while back and then some more as gifts. I am very happy with the items and the seller. These are quality satin pillows, very soft and shiny.’’
Available in a range of colours, these super soft pillowcases have a luxurious feel to them. They are fully machine washable and tumble dryer friendly on a low setting. Making it super easy to keep them clean and hygienic. The design of the pillowcases have a envelope closure so there is no zip on them.
2. ENETIX Satin Pillowcases
- 100% Silky Satin: Premium quality silky satin, more durable than the...
- For Hair and Skin: A comfortable and hypoallergenic satin pillowcase...
- Anti-aging: Enetix Satin Pillowcase keeps your skin hydrated, reduces...
- Beautifully packaged
- Available in a wide range of colours
- Machine washable and tumble dryer friendly
- Polyester material may not be soft enough for some people
The Enetix satin pillowcases are super soft, professionally gift packaged pillowcases that are ideal as a gift or a treat. With over 700 ratings on Amazon, they are well received. Over 85% of these ratings are 4 or 5 stars. Some highlights from customer reviews include ‘’Great quality, easy to wash, doesn’t crease’’ and ‘’Good value for satin pillowcases, nice neutral colour, wash well and dry fast. Good for curly hair’’
Coming as a pack of two, these pillowcases are affordable yet stylish. They are available in a selection of colours and are machine washable on a low setting. The design of the pillowcase has a hidden zipper, which keeps your pillow in place nicely and prevents the zipper from catching on anything. The polyester satin material that the pillow is made from is super durable, making it a long lasting and effective product. It will withstand washing well and stay soft and silky over time.
3. New_Soul Satin Pillowcase
- Soft, Smooth and Beautiful
- Relief from itchy skin conditions such as rosacea and eczema.
- Superb anti wrinkle skin care product which stop your face and hair...
- Super soft finish
- High quality
- Hand washable or machine washable on low
- Limited range of colours available
The New_Soul satin pillowcases are an oxford style pair of pillowcases that are affordable and effective. They have over 500 ratings on Amazon, with over 85% of these being 4 or 5 stars. Highlights from customer reviews include ‘’Since I’ve started using these my hair is a lot healthier. They fit my pillow perfectly and I am a huge fan of the extra bit of fabric around the pillow too. I think it makes it look very elegant’’ and ‘’It’s really soft and great for my hair. Hair feels smoother in the morning. May just replace all of our pillowcase with this.’’
If you prefer oxford style pillowcases then these are an ideal choice for a super soft that are great for hair and skin health. They are machine washable on a cold setting and can be tumble dried on low as well. Excellent for keeping them fresh and hygienic. One downside of this pillowcase is that they are only available in three different colours, great if you prefer traditional colours but if you are looking for something more vibrant, other pillowcases may be a better choice.
4. Hansleep Satin Pillowcases
- 【PREMIUM QUALITY FABRIC】Hansleep pillowcase is certified according...
- 【HAIR CARE】Selecting Hansleep satin pillowcases for hair as part...
- 【SKIN CARE】Unlike cotton pillow cases, Hansleep satin pillowcases...
- OEKO TEX 100 Certified
- Extremely good value
- Super soft satin finish
- May not last if washing very regularly
The Hansleep satin pillowcases are an extremely affordable pack of 4 pillowcases. Perfect if you have 4 pillows on your bed. They are very popular on Amazon with over 7,500 global ratings. Over 85% of these are 4 or 5 stars. Highlights from customer reviews include ‘’These are fantastic made, beautifully packaged and great looking.’’ and ‘’A great value product that is exactly as described- soft and comfortable and is also machine washable. Items arrived in good condition and the colour and texture is great.’’
These satin finish pillowcases are machine washable and tumble dryer friendly on cold settings. Available in a range of different colours these are sure to be a stylish addition to your bedroom.
5. Gyulin Satin Envelope Style V Shaped Pillowcase
- 100% Polyester satin : Satin pillow cases for skin provide a perfect...
- Available in Gyulin Satin Pillowcases 1piece, Pillow Covers with...
- Finished with a 4 inch Flange,Envelope closure end design prevents...
- Available in a wide range of colours
- Comes with a 100% money back guarantee
- Machine washable
- Some people may find it too slippery
The V shaped pillowcase is a slightly more niche product but excellent if you have a V shaped pillow! Our guide to V shaped pillows can also help you find one that suits you. This can be found here.
This pillowcase in particular is a super soft, affordable option that is available in a wide range of different colours. Being a more niche product it only has just over 150 ratings. Over 80% of these are 4 or 5 stars though. Here are a couple of highlights from customer reviews ‘’Really pleased with this, great quality and value. Would buy again’’ and ‘’Really beautiful pillow case, adds some luxury to my bed. Well made and perfect fit very happy and recommend you buy one or more’’
The pillowcase is fully machine washable and comes with a full money back guarantee. The soft finish is ideal for comfortable sleep and the material great for protecting the skin and hair.
What to look for in a good satin pillowcase?
Satin pillowcases are prone to slipping around while you sleep, so it’s important that you get the right size to prevent this from happening. Most brands offer satin pillowcases in all bed sizes, so finding the right size for your needs shouldn’t be too difficult. Make sure to figure out the size you need beforehand for easier shopping.
Satin pillowcases vary in price from less than £10 for a pair of satin cases to over £50 for a high-end silk satin option. If you’re in the market for a satin pillowcase, consider starting with a budget-friendly option to get a feel for it. Remember, satin is the budget-friendly alternative to silk, so there’s no need to spend a fortune.
Satin pillowcases tend to follow a certain aesthetic, and typically come in a small range of colours. If you have a particular style in mind, consider opting for a colour that suits your personal tastes rather than expecting to find a specific pattern. Remember your satin pillowcase has a specific purpose, rather than simply being there for aesthetic purposes.
How to care for a silk pillowcase
Washing and drying
A satin pillowcase should be cleaned regularly to prevent bacteria building up. However, due to the delicate nature of satin, it’s also important that your pillowcase is not cleaned too regularly, as this can damage the satin. To extend the life and effectiveness of your satin pillowcase, remember to wash them as carefully as possible.
This means choosing a very gentle detergent – look for something intended to be used on delicate items. Ideally, satin pillowcases should be washed by hand to ensure care. However, if you have to machine wash your pillowcase, remember to zip it up and put it on a delicate, cool cycle. Consider using a laundry bag for extra protection in the machine.
No matter how you choose to wash your pillowcase, make sure it is completely dry before you store it away or put it on your pillow. The best way to dry it is to leave it flat, with a fluffy towel underneath to absorb the moisture without being too harsh on the satin. Otherwise, hang it out to dry – just make sure to be super careful.
How you store your satin pillowcase is equally important for ensuring longevity and effectiveness. Rather than folding it up, consider rolling it gently to protect it from creases that weaken the satin. Store it somewhere airtight, where it can be protected from moths. Try cedar balls and lavender sachets for extra protection.
Pros and cons of satin pillowcases
- Satin pillowcases are great for maintaining the health of hair and skin, making them a good option for anyone who invests in skin and hair care. Satin produces less friction than other pillowcase materials, meaning satin pillowcases can help to prevent wrinkles and fine lines and protect hair from breakage and knotting.
- Although satin pillowcases are generally more expensive than regular cotton pillowcases, they are also typically considerably cheaper than silk options. Silk is a very popular choice for pillowcases, yet there are few differences between silk and satin, and satin is usually much more budget-friendly.
- Due to its delicate and fragile nature, pillowcases made from satin are not necessarily long-lasting. You might find that satin pillowcases begin to fray and become ineffective much more quickly than sturdier materials like cotton, particularly if they are regularly washed.
- Another downside to satin is that it isn’t necessarily the cheapest option when it comes to pillowcases. While satin pillowcases are typically more affordable than others made from materials like silk, they are also usually more expensive than regular, cotton pillowcases.
The Verdict: Satin Pillowcases
From maintaining the health or your hair and skin to protecting you from allergens, satin pillowcases have many benefits. As we have seen, satin pillowcases are a great option for anyone who is willing to invest in the health of their skin and health and make for a good budget-friendly alternative to silk pillowcases.
Last update on 2022-06-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API