When looking for a new, cheap and affordable mattress topper, you will want a topper that has both a good thickness and material. Being both cost-effective and having a good build quality is essential for getting your money’s worth when buying a new mattress topper.
This article will look at what other aspects to consider when looking for a new and affordable mattress topper and answer a few questions about what to look for when buying yourself a new mattress topper. We have also included our best selections.
The Best Affordable Mattress Toppers
What To Look For In A Good Affordable Mattress Topper?
There are a few factors you will want to consider when purchasing a new mattress topper, such as:
- Firmness – If you want your mattress to be more comfortable then a softer topper with materials like wool or microfibre make excellent choices for mattress topper fillings. If you are looking for a support boost for your mattress then a firmer material such as memory foam is a great choice as it provides a moulding surface that contours to the body.
- Your type of mattress – If you are reasonably happy with your mattress and are looking for complementary changes then a thinner mattress topper is likely to suit you best. If your mattress is a bit tired and in need of a boost then a thicker mattress topper is likely to make the biggest difference. A good middle ground is likely to suit the majority of people. These are usually around 3 inches thick.
- The topper’s breathability – If you are prone to overheating as you sleep then a super thick memory foam topper is unlikely to suit you. A microfibre topper has great breathability and keeps air flowing through it so doesn’t have problems with heat retention.
- The topper’s care instructions – Memory foam is not usually machine washable and has to be spot cleaned to keep it hygienic can be more difficult compared to machine-washable materials like microfibre.
What Material is Best for an Affordable Mattress Topper?
The most popular options for an affordable mattress topper is either foam or microfibre. While other materials are available, they tend to be more expensive and so do not meet the criteria for this list. The best material for a topper depends on what you are looking for from a topper and how much you are willing to pay.
Microfibre Mattress Toppers
Microfibre toppers are a solid choice for an affordable mattress topper. They are generally the cheapest and generally provide a good comfort boost to your mattress. They are usually machine washable which is great for keeping your bed fresh and hygienic. Build quality is important for microfibre toppers as quilted and stitched covers will help the filling stay even in the topper and prevent it from clumping up. Microfibre also doesn’t have any problems with heat retention so it won’t leave you sleeping too warm. One downside is that over time the microfibre filling may lose its plumpness and thickness leaving it needs replacing.
Memory Foam Mattress Toppers
Memory foam mattress toppers are one of the most common and popular types of affordable mattress toppers. Their primary function is to give a support boost to your bed. They are comfortable as well though. Due to memory foam being heat activated, traditionally it has had problems with heat retention and overheating. Some are now gel-infused to help combat this. The problems of overheating are also not as bad with toppers as they are with mattresses due to the thinner layer of foam.
Our Best Selections
1. Silentnight Airmax Mattress Topper
- BREATHABLE - Experience unparalleled breathability with Airmax...
- HYPOALLERGENIC – Kind to skin and does not include any contents...
- MACHINE WASHABLE – You can wash your pillow to keep it fresh, fluffy...
- Fully machine washable
- 2-year manufacturers guarantee
- Breathable materials
- Won’t revive an old mattress that needs replacing
The Silentnight Airmax topper stands out from the pack with its mesh sides and is designed to maximise breathability. It is extremely popular on Amazon with over 9,500 ratings. Over 85% of these are 4 or 5 stars. Highlights from customer reviews include ‘’Definitely improves the quality of my bed and makes it feel more luxurious. Good value for money.’’ and ‘’Very soft, and lovely to sleep on.’’
Available in a range of sizes and also an extra thick version, the Silentnight Airmax topper features air mesh sides that are designed to promote breathability and keep you sleeping cool throughout the night. It is made primarily from polyester and is fully machine washable. This good-value topper is also made in the UK and comes with a 2-year manufacturer guarantee as standard. It should be noted that while it will give a great comfort boost and is a great product for the price. If you are looking to revive an old mattress, however, then a memory foam topper is likely to be a better choice.
2. Recci Gel Infused Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- 💎【Comfortable & Pressure Relief】Crafted with innovative foam...
- 💎【Cooling & Breathable】This double mattress topper is...
- 💎【Safe & Odorless】This gel foam mattress topper is certificated...
- Excellent Value
- Gel-infused for temperature regulation
- High-quality memory foam core
- There may be a chemical memory foam smell when first received
- The price may not fit everyone’s budget
The Recci gel-infused memory foam mattress topper is a mattress topper designed to increase the comfort and support you get as you sleep and prevent overheating. It is popular on Amazon with over 650 ratings, over 80% of these are 4 or 5 stars. It is also manufactured by Recci who are incredibly popular on Amazon with their products. Highlights from customer reviews include ‘’I am delighted with this product and the improvement it has made to my life.’’ and ‘’Super fast delivery, great comfort’’.
This topper measures 5cm thick and is available in a wide range of different sizes. It has a bamboo viscose cover which is great for breathability and gives the topper a soft touch. The memory foam core is gel-infused which helps with temperature regulation and helps prevent overheating as you sleep. The downside of this topper is that it is the most expensive on this list and may not fit some people’s budgets.
3. Home Sweet Home Microfiber Mattress Topper
- Airmesh walls increase circulation & breathability
- Dual layer rejuvenates your existing mattress
- Machine Washable
- Machine washable
- Good value
- The topper may not be thick enough for some people
The Home Sweet Home microfibre topper is similar in its design to the Silentnight Airmax topper with mesh sides. It is extremely well priced and has over 2,500 ratings on Amazon. Over 85% of these are 4 or 5 stars. Highlights from customer reviews include ‘’I would certainly purchase another & my wife also thinks that she slept far better & was far more comfortable in our bed, seriously good value & adds comfort to our king size bed.’’ and ‘’It is comfy and does the job.’’
One thing to note about this topper is that it is quite thin. It will give a good boost to your mattress because of this but won’t revive a mattress in need of replacing. The topper is well designed with straps to keep it in place and a woven knit to keep the filling evenly distributed. It is also fully machine washable and hypoallergenic.
4. Southern Foam Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- BRITISH MADE – crafted in our family factory in West Sussex, UK
- UK MARKET LEADER – best-selling toppers with the most 5-star reviews
- UNBEATABLE VALUE – because we sell direct
- Well priced
- Good support boost for your mattress
- Good thickness
- It is not machine washable
- The cover is an additional cost
The Southern Foam mattress topper is a simply designed block of memory foam that is designed to give any mattress a boost. It is one of the more popular toppers on this list with over 5,000 ratings on Amazon. Over 85% of these are 4 or 5 stars. Highlights from customer reviews include ‘’Excellent quality memory foam topper so pleased’’ and ‘’Definitely made my bare springy mattress much easier to lie across, the spongy foam adapts to my shape well.’’
To keep the price as low as possible, the cover of this topper is an additional cost. It also does not have straps to help keep it in place on your mattress. Despite this, it is extremely comfortable and once aired for a few hours it will be ready to use and give an instant boost to your mattress. It is not machine washable so it would be recommended to use a mattress protector over it to keep it free from spillages and excess moisture.
5. Bedsure Quilted Mattress Topper
- Made of double-sided brushed microfiber fabric, mattress topper double...
- Filled with 100% premium virgin fibres, the 600gsm mattress topper...
- Using a classic chocolate grid pattern, the best mattress topper is...
- The quilted cover has a super soft feel
- Provides a comfort boost for your mattress
- Does not have a strong smell like some foam toppers do
- Machine washable
- Won’t revive an old mattress
The BedSure Quilted mattress topper is an overfilled microfibre mattress topper designed to give a comfort boost to your mattress. It is very well received on Amazon with over 5,500 ratings. Over 80% of these are 4 or 5 stars. Highlights from customer reviews include ‘’Slept on it last night. oh my, the difference it made! REALLY comfy and we could both feel the difference from our other one. Soft and comfortable to sleep on, didn’t make my partner feel hot.’’ and ‘’It’s like I’m sleeping on a cloud! I recommend.’’
This topper has boxed quilting throughout which helps the fill material stay in place. This is especially useful after machine washing. While not the thickest, it is substantial enough to make a difference to your mattress and make it more comfortable to sleep on. It also features elastic straps which attach under the mattress. Which Keeps it in the correct place throughout the night.
How Do the Cleaning Instructions Affect the Type of Affordable Mattress Topper You Should Choose?
It is important to check the cleaning instructions of the topper you are buying. Memory foam is not machine washable and usually, the only way of cleaning it is by spot cleaning. This is a downside of memory foam but with a good mattress protector, you can avoid the need to clean it very often. Microfibre mattress toppers on the other hand are usually fully machine washable. This makes it great for keeping clean and hygienic. Make sure that the topper has quilting or something else to keep the filling in place, otherwise, machine washing can cause microfibre filling to begin to clump together.
What is the best thickness for a budget mattress topper?
The best thickness for a budget mattress topper depends on what you are looking to get out of it and your current mattress. If you are
How Often Should I Replace My Budget Mattress Topper?
It is generally recommended to replace your mattress topper every 3 years. Different materials last slightly longer. An example of this is that memory foam usually keeps its shape much better than microfibre toppers. Because of this, the topper will have to be replaced less often. It can make it trickier to choose the right topper as memory foam is generally more expensive but will last longer.
What are the Pros and Cons Of Budget Mattress Toppers?
- They can give your mattress a new lease of life
- They can improve the comfort and support you have when you sleep
- They can help reduce the build-up of heat from your mattress
- Depending on the materials, it may lose its shape over time
- They don’t have the features or build quality of more expensive toppers
The Verdict: Affordable Mattress Toppers
A mattress topper can be a great addition to your bed that can breathe a new lease of life into your bed and help improve your quality of sleep. Choosing the right one can be tricky though. As sleep is so subjective, which one is right for your situation will vary from person to person. Our best selections are a mix of different options that should suit the vast majority of people and we believe provide something for everyone. Whether it is comfort, support or a bit of both that you’re looking to get then a mattress topper can be an excellent, affordable alternative to buying a new mattress and keep you sleeping well for a few more years.
Last update on 2022-05-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API