A thick mattress topper can be a lifeline for a tired mattress and increase its lifespan. Getting the right mattress topper with a proper thickness according to your height, weight and sleeping preference can help improve your quality of sleep.
This article will look at some of the most important features that a mattress should have, what the depth and material of a mattress should be, some cons and pros of an extra thick mattress topper, and how you should look after your extra thick mattress topper.
The Best Extra Thick Mattress Toppers
What Materials To Look For In An Extra Thick Mattress Topper?
If you are looking for a comfort boost for your mattress then a thick microfibre topper can be both affordable and effective. If you are looking for more support from your mattress topper then memory foam can be an excellent choice.
Extra thickness not only gives you enough airflow but also provides some separation to suppress the mattress underneath if there are any allergy issues.
Why Might I Need An Extra Thick Mattress Topper?
You might need an extra thick mattress topper for the following reasons:
- Your extra thick mattress requires an extra thick mattress topper.
- An extra thick mattress topper provides your bedding with additional cushioning.
- These types of mattress toppers make your mattress softer or firmer, making it ideal to tackle sore or stiff joints and back pains.
- You enjoy a cooler sleep with a mattress topper due to the majority of them being breathable.
- Since the mattress toppers lay on top of your mattress, they will give full support that will increase the life expectancy of your mattress.
- They reduce the pressure on mattress springs, slowing down any sagging and wear and tear.
- You don’t need to wash your full-size extra thick mattresses because you get to clean the replaceable coverings of your mattress topper that acts as a barrier against stains and wear and tear.
- These mattress toppers are handy, and you can roll them and transfer them to another bed or carry them with you during your travel.
- Adding an extra thick mattress means adding extra comfort to your bedding. The soft and different flexible fillings in your bedding make a tremendous difference.
What Are The Pros and Cons Of Extra Thick Mattress Toppers?
Here are some cons and pros of extra thick mattress toppers:
- Additional thick mattress toppers are softer than a thin mattress topper.
- Offer an undisturbed and sound sleep.
- Your mattress lifespan increases.
- More dust resistance keeps bacteria away.
- The prices of extra thick mattress toppers are higher than thinner ones.
- Some fill materials do not keep their shape and thickness for a long time.
Our Best Selections
1. Bedsure Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- High build quality
- Great comfort boost for your mattress
- Good value for money
- Limited sizes available
- Memory foam may not be for everyone
The BedSure memory foam mattress topper is a high-quality memory foam topper that provides excellent value for money. It has a thickness of 7cm and has an egg crate foam design. It is incredibly popular on Amazon with over 5,500 ratings. Over 85% of these are 4 or 5 stars. Highlights from customer reviews include ‘’The cover that comes with it and is nice quality it has a non-slip underside that works well with my mattress I’m really happy with my purchase and can recommend this topper’’ and ‘’I suffer from constant back pain from lumbar disc degeneration – this mattress topper is so comfortable … had the best night’s sleep for years since fitting it.’’
The BedSure topper is only available in a king or a double. It comes with a soft-touch cover that is removable and machine washable. The memory foam core is not machine washable, however. The memory foam core is constructed from 7 distinct zones which maximise the amount of support the body gets as you sleep.
2. Silentnight Airmax Extra Deep Mattress Topper
- Good value
- Breathable and hypoallergenic
- 2-year manufacturers guarantee
- Won’t revive a mattress that needs replacing
The Silentnight Airmax Extra Deep topper is the deeper version of the extremely popular Airmax topper. It is 6cm deep and is designed to maximise breathability. It is extremely popular on Amazon with over 9,500 ratings. Over 85% of these are 4 or 5 stars. Highlights from customer reviews include ‘’Definitely improves the quality of my bed and makes it feel more luxurious. Good value for money.’’ and ‘’Very soft, and lovely to sleep on.’’
Available in a range of sizes, the Silentnight Airmax topper features air mesh sides that are designed to promote breathability and keep you sleeping cool throughout the night. It is made primarily from polyester and is fully machine washable. This good-value topper is also made in the UK and comes with a 2-year manufacturer guarantee as standard. It should be noted that while it will give a great comfort boost, it won’t revive a mattress that requires replacing.
3. EDS Extra Thick Mattress Topper
- One of the thicker toppers available
- Fully machine washable
- Elastic straps keep it in place well
- Microfibre fill may not last as long as other materials
The EDS mattress topper is a hotel quality microfibre topper that is one of the thicker toppers available. It has a depth of approximately 10cm and is designed to give a comfort boost to your mattress. On Amazon it has gained over 600 ratings, over 80% of these are 4 or 5 stars. Highlights from customer reviews include ‘’This product was all it said it was. Haven’t slept so well for ages, so soft and lovely.’’ ‘’I could feel the softness whilst I slept on this and it adds extra comfort. I’m happy with this product and I have already recommended it to people I know.’’
The EDS mattress topper is made from microfibre and when first received it will need 24-48 hours to air before use. It should be said that this topper is designed primarily to give extra cushioning to your mattress. If you are looking for something that will increase the support and be firm, a memory foam topper would be recommended instead.
4. Newentor® Dual-Layer Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Dual Layered
- Machine washable cover
- 90-night trial
- The topper core can only be spot cleaned
The Newentor mattress topper is a foam topper made from two different types of foam. It has fewer ratings than the other toppers on this list with over 180 ratings but is highly regarded by customers. Over 85% of the ratings are 4 or 5 stars. Highlights from customer reviews include ‘’If for some reason this one ever wears out or is destroyed, I would pay twice the price for another one. That is how much I love this thing!’’ and ‘’I highly recommend this mattress topper. My old mattress was starting to sag and was no longer comfortable and I would wake up with backache, this mattress topper has transformed my bed making it feel like new.’’
This topper is 7cm thick and constructed from a 3cm top layer of gel memory foam and a 4cm layer of high-density base foam. This ensures the topper adds both comfort and support to your existing mattress. The cover that comes with the topper can be machine washed making keeping it clean easy. The topper also comes with a 90-day trial so you have plenty of time to try it out if it’s the right one for you.
5. High Living Microfibre Mattress Topper
- Good value
- Resistant to Dust Mites, Allergens and Bacteria
- Breathable materials used
- Does not give as much support as memory foam toppers
The High Living mattress topper is a well-filled microfibre topper that is approximately 10cm deep. It is incredibly popular on Amazon with over 5,500 ratings. Over 85% of these are 4 or 5 stars. Highlights from customer reviews include ‘’Love this mattress topper. Nice and thick and comfortable to sleep on. Fits well on bed and doesn’t slip.’’ and ‘’This is used on the bed in one of my bedrooms to top a memory foam mattress. The difference is unbelievable. It is certainly one of my many Amazon best buys.’’
This microfibre topper is designed to give your existing mattress a comfort boost. If you are looking for an increase in support then a memory foam topper is likely to be more suitable. It is a well-priced topper that is fully machine washable and hypoallergenic. It has elasticated straps attached to it to stop it from moving around the mattress and is a baffle box stitched to prevent the filling from clumping up.
What To Look For In A Good Thick Mattress Topper?
You should be looking following points while choosing a thick mattress topper:
- Size – The size of a thick mattress topper should blend with the size of your existing mattress. If the mattress topper and mattress size don’t match, they may slip or cause discomfort while you sleep.
- Depth – The depth upwards of 5 cm is considered to be thick and near standard for buying a thick mattress topper.
- Quality – Go for the highly textured, firm, well-stitched material to ensure the quality lasts for as long as possible. Higher-quality mattress toppers last longer than low-quality toppers.
How To Look After Your Extra Thick Mattress Topper?
Here are some ways to look after your thick mattress topper:
Daily Care – This includes daily breathing. When you get up in the morning, unmake your bed for a few hours by following these steps:
- Take the comforter, sheet, or blankets away from the mattress and mattress topper.
- Unmaking allows the moisture that collected during the night to escape.
- You can also use moisture barriers or pads for extra protection if needed.
Monthly Care – This includes folding and flipping the mattress topper. Fold your mattress topper down once a month. It will help you get rid of the moisture between the topper and the mattress.
Flipping will make sure that you don’t overuse a single side.
Quarterly Care – This includes sunning the mattress topper. Place your mattress topper in the sun three to four times a year. If your topper contains foam, make sure it is not exposed to direct sunlight as this can compromise the integrity of the foam.
What Depth Is Best For My Mattress Topper?
There is no standard mattress thickness that is tried and true, but a thickness between 3 and 4 inches is considered to be on the higher end of quality, and a good rule of thumb to follow. The list given below gives an idea of various matters groups based on their respective thicknesses, generally, you want a mattress topper that will compliment your mattress well instead of overpowering it or not giving it enough of a boost:
- Low Profile mattress – Low profile mattress thickness is between 2 and 5 inches. A one-inch mattress topper suits them best.
- Slim Mattresses – These types of mattresses have a thickness between 5 and 12 inches. A one to two-inch thick mattress topper goes best with them.
- Standard Mattresses – These standard mattresses have a thickness between 8 and 12 inches. Two-inch thick mattress topper suits best on them. If it needs a big boost then a thicker one may be appropriate
- Deep, tall, or thick mattresses – These mattresses have thicknesses between 12 and 16 inches. A two to three-inch-thick mattress topper goes best with them.
- Extra deep, thick, and tall – A three to four-inch-thick mattress topper is most suitable with extra-thick mattresses.
Can Choosing the Incorrect Mattress Topper Affect My Health?
Too thick or thin mattress toppers will affect your comfort, leading to poor sleep, thus affecting your health negatively. The depth or height of a mattress topper determines its thickness.
A mattress topper with an overall thickness of more than 5 inches is considered a deeper mattress topper than average. These are the types of mattress toppers that are best for those looking for a soft, plush mattress topper with lots of support.
For mattress toppers, a thickness between 3 and 4 inches will generally be a good fit for most mattresses, especially if the mattress is sagging or has tough springs. If you are looking for extra support then thicker may be better.
Overall a thick mattress topper will alter the feel of your mattress, improving comfortability, offering support, and extending the life expectancy of your mattress.
Last update on 2023-12-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API