Natural mattress toppers are an excellent means of adding extra comfort to your existing mattress, increasing its lifespan, and potentially improving your sleep without spending a lot on a new bed.
This article will cover which material is best as a natural mattress topper, why it is considered the best material for organic mattress toppers, some cons and pros of the specific material, and what you should consider while choosing a natural mattress topper.
The Best Natural Mattress Toppers
What To Look For In A Good Natural Mattress Topper?
Here are a few features that you need to keep in mind while looking for a good wool mattress topper:
Size – The size of an excellent natural mattress topper corresponds to the size of your existing mattress. If the size of the mattress topper doesn’t match the size of a mattress, it may slip away while you sleep.
Mattress toppers are usually available in a variety of sizes, including:
- Small Double
- Super King
Depth – The depth between 4 and 5 cm is higher in quality. Generally, you should avoid mattresses with a depth below 4 cm as the comfortability, and good sleep will be compromised with thin mattresses.
Quality – Go for the highly textured, firmed, most suitable material and adjustable natural mattress topper to maintain the quality. The best quality mattress toppers last more than low-quality and average natural mattress toppers.
Price – High-end organic mattress toppers range from £150 to £450. This price is ideal for a topper of a super-king bed.
What Are Pros And Cons Of Natural Mattress Toppers?
Below are some cons and pros that natural mattress toppers offer:
- They are comfortable and soft. They keep you warm in winter and cool in summer.
- They are durable and last longer than cheaper toppers.
- They don’t obstruct bed movement.
- They are more expensive than other mattress toppers.
- Wool mattress toppers may have a strange smell when they are new.
- Feather mattress toppers are noisy, and the shafts of feathers can sometimes poke your body if not handled carefully.
Our Best Selections
1. Homescapes White Goose Feather Mattress Topper
- Luxury white goose feather and down mattress topper. Filling: 100%...
- Super soft mattress topper to add comfort, warmth and support to your...
- Available in UK standard sizes, this natural feather mattress topper...
- Super soft feel
- Corner strap to keep the topper in place
- RDS (Responsible Down Standard) certified
- It may not be thick enough for some people
The Homescapes white goose feather is a super soft topper designed to give a comfort boost to your mattress. It has over 700 ratings on Amazon. Over 85% of these are 4 or 5 stars. Highlights from customer reviews include ‘’Last night I had the best night’s sleep I have had in months – I didn’t wake once with my arthritis pains. It was like sleeping on a bed of soft feathers.’’ and ‘’I would recommend this to anyone who wants a good quality product.’’
This mattress topper has a filling of 100% goose feathers which give it a super soft feel. The goose feathers are encased in a 100% cotton cover. All feathers are also treated to meet the European Oekotex standard. The cover of the topper is double stitched and quilted. This prevents the filling from clumping together and ensures that it stays evenly spread throughout the topper. The topper is available in all standard sizes and is kept secure on the bed with 4 elastic straps that wrap around your mattress
2. Lancashire Bedding Duck Feather Mattress Topper
- Ethically Sourced 100% Natural Filling - The duck feather filling...
- 100% Breathable Cotton - The natural cotton casing is breathable to...
- Construction - The box construction design is perfect for helping...
- Naturally hypoallergenic
- Good value for money
- Great comfort boost
- Might not be thick enough for some people
The Lancashire Bedding topper is filled with 100% duck feathers to give your mattress a boost of comfort. It does not have as many ratings as the previous topper with over 140 ratings but over 80% of these are 4 or 5 stars so it is still highly rated. Highlights from customer reviews include ‘’Delivery on timed, packed very well, hung it over the bannisters for 4 hours to air, put on the bed that night, what bliss, would not be without it now.’’ and ‘’Good level of padding which has added to the comfort of the bed. Held securely in place by the corner straps so overall very pleased with my purchase and would recommend this mattress topper.’’
The topper is approximately 3 inches in depth and is naturally anti-allergenic. The stays in place when on the mattress due to 4 elastic straps that wrap around the mattress. The cover of this topper is made from 100% cotton giving it a soft touch feel. It also features a box construction that keeps the filling in place and prevents it from clumping together.
3. Wool Room Organic British Wool Mattress Topper
- Unhappy with the comfort of your existing mattress? Add a wool...
- Approximately 5cm thick – sink into a cloud of sumptuous comfort....
- Naturally hypoallergenic (as Certified by Allergy UK) without being...
- Naturally hypoallergenic
- Super soft traceable British wool
- Adjustable elastic bed straps
- Higher price
The Wool Room mattress topper is a luxury, organic wool mattress topper that is sure to give your mattress a natural comfort boost. Wool mattress toppers are less popular on Amazon than other toppers so it has over just over 75 ratings at the moment. It is well regarded though, with over 80% of these ratings being 4 or 5 stars. Highlights from customer reviews include ‘’What a difference it made! So soft and welcoming. I honestly wish I’d bought one a long, long time ago.’’ and ‘’The topper is nice and thick, it stays in place and combined with a light wool duvet.’’
This topper is a well crafted and responsibly sourced mattress topper. If you are looking for a wool mattress topper then it ticks virtually every box. The only drawback is probably the high price. The cover of the topper is made from 200 thread count cotton. The filling is 100% traceable British wool that weighs 1000gsm. Unfortunately, it is not machine washable and can only be dry cleaned so using a mattress protector would be recommended.
4. Merino Wool Natural Mattress Topper
- Reversible wool underblanket **Perfect for all Seasons** - Padded 100%...
- Underblanket with elastic corner straps - to prevent the sheets from...
- Merino Wool Underblankets are "Woolmark" certified.
- Super soft merino wool
- Elastic straps to keep the topper in place
- Woolmark certified
- Some people may want something thicker
The Merino Wool Topper is a natural mattress topper designed to be super soft and comfortable. With just over 70 ratings it is well regarded. Over 85% of customers who left a rating gave it 4 or 5 stars. Highlights from the reviews include ‘’My Emma mattress was far too hot and sticky. This topper solved the problem and looks very well made so I am very happy. No odour.’’ ‘’This mattress topper is great! The woolly side is very warm and soft, while the cotton side is also soft but cooler. Love it!’’
This topper is closer to an under-blanket than a true topper. It is double-sided with a fleece side and cotton-padded side. This makes it great for both the winter and summer. Unfortunately, the topper is not machine washable and is only suitable for dry cleaning so it would be advised to use a mattress protector with this wool topper.
5. Devon Duvets Handcrafted Wool Mattress Topper
- Handcrafted in England
- Certified 100% British Wool and 100% soft cotton flannel casing
- Resists dust mite and can help to relieve the symptoms of allergies or...
- Handcrafted In England
- Dust mite resistant
- Certified British wool
- Limited sizes available
The Devon Duvets mattress topper is a handcrafted wool mattress topper that is made in the UK. Despite only having just over 30 ratings on Amazon this is due to the seller separating each topper by size. Of these reviews over 80% of them rate the topper 4 or 5 stars. Highlights from the reviews include ‘’My bed is now beautifully cool when I slip in and stays at the perfect temperature, all night. The only drawback is that I have to get out in the morning. It’s worth every penny.’’
This 4cm deep topper is great for adding a comfort layer to a mattress that may be slightly too hard. The cover is made from 100% soft-touch cotton and the inner filling is 1000gsm (approx) of British wool. The great thing about this is that it makes the topper naturally resist dust mites and can help to relieve the symptoms of allergies or asthma alongside being a breathable material.
What Materials To Look For In Natural Mattress Toppers?
You need to look for organic, chemical-free materials for natural mattress toppers. Wool, down and feathers are among the best natural choices because they are not treated with chemicals.
Why is Softness Important for a Natural Mattress Topper?
Natural mattress toppers are usually more soft and comfortable than traditional cotton or other mattress toppers. They can help you sleep better; hence you wake up more rested and full of energy.
Why is Resistance Important for a Natural Mattress Topper?
Many natural mattress toppers are naturally resistant to fire, mould, mildew, and bugs, making them a better choice than typical synthetic mattress toppers.
Why is Being Chemical-free Important for a Natural Mattress Topper?
Natural mattress toppers generally don’t contain bleach or other harmful chemicals such as flame retardants and pesticides often present in other mattress toppers.
Wool, in particular, has a high ignition temperature. That’s why flame retardants are not required during its processing.
Why is Temperature Regulation Important for a Natural Mattress Topper?
Natural mattress toppers usually possess good insulating properties. Natural mattress toppers keep you warm during the winter season and cool during the summer season.
How To Look After A Natural Mattress Topper?
Here are some ways to look after your natural mattress topper:
- Daily Care – Take the sheets, comforter, and all other items off the bed, leaving the mattress and topper exposed for daily care. This allows the moisture to escape. You can also use moisture barriers or pads for extra protection if needed.
- Monthly Care – Monthly care includes folding the mattress topper. You will want to fold your mattress topper at least once a month as this will remove moisture between the topper and the mattress. Flipping will also help to ensure that you are not using one side too much.
- Care about every three months – For care after three months, place the mattress topper in the sun three to four times a year. This is one of the best ways to freshen up your topper as the sun can deodorise the topper.
How Often Should I Replace My Natural Mattress Topper?
You should replace natural mattress toppers such as wool mattress toppers after three years because they lose much of their thickness and fluff during this period.
Why Is Wool Considered One of the Best Materials For Natural Mattress Toppers?
Here are some of the qualities that make wool one of the best choices for natural mattress toppers:
- Temperature regulation.
- Durability and Low Maintenance.
Last update on 2022-05-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API