Hotel pillows have many factors to consider when buying your own, such as what the ideal shape and firmness are. Top hotels spare no expense when it comes to luxurious sleeping, often changing their pillows out every two years, and washing them frequently.
In this article, we will guide you through what you need to know to make the best choice for your hotel-style pillow at home and our favourites.
The Best Hotel Style Pillows
Best Overall – Silentnight Hotel Collection Pillow
Best for Value – CHILIMILII Luxury Hollowfibre Pillows
Best for Support – Sofslee Hotel Pillows
Best for Comfort – Martian Made Ultra Soft Hotel Pillows
Best Filling – Snuggledown Hungarian Goose Down Pillow
What to Consider When Purchasing the Best Hotel Style Pillows?
Here are the top factors to consider when purchasing your hotel-style pillow:
- Pillow Size: The size of the pillow often is the same as the bed, however, it comes down to the individual’s preference that determines what pillow size is best.
- Pillow Loft: This refers to the height of the pillow to support the head. Back sleepers require medium-loft while side sleepers require a medium-high loft. However, firmness plays a role in how high the is, and is something to keep in mind.
- Pillow Shape: There are hotel pillows available in a variety of shapes depending on what you want to use them for, such as U-shaped travelling pillows, wedge pillows, and curved pillows. The vast majority and the most popular shape, however, is the rectangular shape.
- Sleeper’s Weight: The weight of the sleeper affects how well the pillow can support them. Heavier individuals may prefer a firmer pillow for more support, while lighter individuals will want a softer, less firm pillow for extra cushioning.
- Pillow’s Fill: The material inside a pillow determines a lot of factors such as pressure relief, support, and how comfortable it feels. The fill can be a variety of materials such as features, down, polyester, or microfiber.
- Pillow’s Cover: Cotton is the most popular choice for hotel pillow covers due to its breathability, however, there are other options such as lyocell, polyester, and rayon.
- Pillow Pressure Relief: Determined by loft, quality of materials, and firmness, the best pillows provide high amounts of pressure relief, balancing comfort and support as it promotes spine alignment while cradling the head and neck.
Our Best Selections
Best Overall –
Silentnight Hotel Collection Pillow
- Good value
- Fully Machine washable
- 2-year manufacturers guarantee
- They may be too soft for some sleepers
- They may lose their shape quicker than other filling materials
Silentnight is easily the best-known brand on this list and these pillows are a great option, featuring a microfibre filling and embossed cover. They are standard size at 70x40x8cm. On Amazon alone, they have over 8,000 ratings. 80% of these are rated as 4 or 5 stars. Customer reviews praise them with comments like ‘It is blissfully soft to the touch and to lie on, whilst being thick enough to give support. It is of incredible quality and I am thoroughly delighted.’ and ‘Lovely bouncy and fresh pillows, cheap enough to replace when needed.’
The Silentnight Hotel Collection pillows are rated as a 4/10 for firmness, putting them on the softer end of medium. They are quite standard and should suit all sleeping positions. The pillows are also fully machine washable, manufactured in the UK and come with a 2-year manufacturers guarantee.
Best For Value – CHILIMILII Luxury Hollowfibre Pillows
- Fully machine washable
- Excellent value for a pack of 4
- Hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant
- Fill material does not last as long as other materials
The CHILIMILII luxury pillows are an excellent value four-pack of super-soft pillows. They are extremely popular with over 2,500 ratings on Amazon. Over 85% of these are 4 or 5 stars. Highlights from customer reviews include ‘’Wow that’s all I can say, for the price amazing quality.’’ and ‘’Bought to use on the spare bed, but they are so comfy and use them in the main bed now.’’
These pillows are a standard size, measuring 75 x 50cm and will fit well into standard sized pillowcases. The fill material is polyester hollowfibre and the cover is made from a poly-cotton blend. They are hypoallergenic, dust mite resistant and fully machine washable. Most sleepers should be suited to these pillows but they are likely to suit back and front sleepers the best due to their softness. The only downside of this material is that it does not last as long as other fill materials but it provides excellent value for money.
Best For Support – Sofslee Hotel Pillows
- Soft and comfortable
- Stay plump over time
- Good balance of comfort and support
- They may not be thick enough for some people
- Comes with a lot of plastic packaging
The Sofslee hotel pillows are super soft and comfortable hollowfibre pillows that are plump yet not overfilled. They come with a luxury premium cover that is breathable and soft to the touch. They are proving very popular with over 1,100 ratings with over 80% of all ratings rated as 4 or 5 stars. Reviewers love the pillows, stating the following in their reviews ‘Where have these pillows been all my life. I have never slept on a pillow so comfortable, I fractured my neck a few years ago and I can finally wake up pain-free.’ and ‘I’m totally converted from feather pillows and ordering another 2 of these ASAP.’
The pillows are a pretty standard size at 42x70cm and will fit into a regular size pillowcase. They also are fully machine washable in warm water on a gentle cycle. Great for keeping them clean and hygienic. A keynote about this pack of pillows is that they seem to keep their shape much better than standard pillows.
Best for Comfort – Martian Made Ultra Soft Hotel Pillows
- Good depth
- Extremely comfortable
- 5-year warranty
- Some people may struggle with overheating due to the materials used
The Martian Dream Hotel pillow is also a microfibre filled, down alternative pillow. Receiving over 1,900 ratings it is very well regarded with over 80% of ratings being 4 or 5 stars. Most reviewers rate these pillows highly as well, leaving comments such as ‘I would buy these again and highly recommend them.’ and ‘The pillows keep their shape and meet all the manufacturer’s claims.’
The cover of this pillow stands out as it is a 280GSM premium bamboo fibre and polyester blend. The bamboo infusion makes it naturally 100% hypoallergenic, dust-mite resistant, anti-bacterial and also incredibly soft. The pillow just fits into a standard size pillowcase measuring 75x48cm. A bonus is that the pillow comes with a 5-year warranty, much longer than the average.
Best For Filling – Snuggledown Hungarian Goose Down Pillow
- Super soft and comfortable
- Fully machine washable and dryer friendly
- High price for a single pillow
Goose down pillows are rated highly for their incredible softness and luxury. This pillow is no exception. It is well manufactured and very comfortable, being made with a filling blend of 80% goose feather down and 20% small goose feathers. With over 5,000 ratings, 80% of which are rated 4 or 5 stars, they have proved to be very popular, customer reviews include comments such as ‘These are the most comfortable pillows I have ever bought! Your head just sinks right into them.’ and ‘Like sleeping on a cloud. Perfect for me.’
Snuggledown uses a high quality 300 thread count soft-touch cotton fabric for the cover, making it both comfortable and luxurious. You can easily keep this pillow clean as well. It is fully washing machine and dryer friendly. The only downside is that you are paying a high price for a quality pillow.
What to Look for in a Hotel Style Pillow?
You will want to watch what types of ‘buzzwords’ your hotel company or seller is using when they promote or talk about their pillow. ‘Universal comfort’ or ‘all sleeping positions’ means the pillow has medium firmness and loft. If that’s not the specifications you’re looking for, read the fine print carefully and consider other options.
Why are Hotel Pillows so Comfortable?
Top hotels spare no expense when it comes to luxury sleep, and having a premium, soft pillow to sleep on encourages customers to enjoy themselves and visit again. Hotels also put a lot of effort into cleaning, washing, and changing out pillows to ensure they are in the best condition when guests go to use them.
What Pillows Do They Use in Five-star Hotels?
Hotels typically use these three types of pillows in their guest rooms: Down, feather, and alternative fills.
Down-filled pillows are considered to be the height of luxury in the industry, being the number one choice for high-end hotels. They are made from either goose or duck down, are soft and fluffy, and are durable, meaning they last a long time.
However, these pillows can cause allergies in those who are allergic to down feathers. They also tend to be pricier than most other types of pillows, and so are typically only seen in extremely high-end hotels and are now used less and less due to potential allergy risks to the customers.
Feather blend pillows are a blend of feather and down, making them hypoallergenic and more cost-effective. This makes them a good mid-range for a lot of hotels and is a popular choice. They typically come in medium firmness, with the mature feathers preventing down or any other feathers from poking out of the pillow.
Down alternative pillows are made up of polyester microfiber, and are completely hypoallergenic. They are a very popular choice for hotels as hotels no longer have to worry about allergic guests, and the price point is good on these as well.
They tend to offer similar firmness and density as compared to down, being fluffy and firm, however, as soon as you touch a polyester-filled pillow, you do notice the difference from an actual down pillow. Due to increases in their quality in recent years, they are becoming the most common and popular choice due to their considerable upside.
What Are the Pros of Hotel Style Pillows?
Here are the top pros of hotel-style pillows:
- Hotel-style pillows can easily accommodate different types and sizes of sleepers, along with different sleeping styles.
- Hotel-style pillows are typically made to be more durable and long-lasting than other types of pillows.
- Hotel-style pillows are almost always going to be using the highest quality, or at least high-enough quality when it comes to their pillows.
- Hotel-style pillows and typically going to be allergy-conscious.
- Hotel-style pillows also offer a focused balance of comfort and support.
What Are the Cons of Hotel Style Pillows?
Here are some of the cons with purchasing a hotel-style pillow:
- Hotel-style pillows are typically going to have higher price tags associated with them.
- The firmness level that hotel-style pillows have may not be ideal for certain types of sleepers.
- If there are lower-quality options out there for hotel-style pillows, they may be less durable and not last as long as you would like.
What Are the Top Frequently Asked Questions About Hotel-Quality Pillows?
How Much Do Hotel Pillows Cost?
You will be looking at a price tag of around £25 up to £70 for an average, mid-range hotel-style pillow. There are other options available, though, for both lower and higher price points.
What Size are Hotel Pillows?
When it comes to common sizes of hotel-style pillows, you will typically find standard, super standard, queen, and king sizes, along with the rare speciality size.
Standard hotel-style pillow size is fairly common, measuring 70 by 40 centimetres. It’s used with single and double mattress sizes and can fit in a standard or queen-size cover.
King-size pillows measure 90 by 48 centimetres, making the king the largest standard size.
Speciality pillows are any other shape available, such as body pillows, wedge, and neck roll pillows.
What Firmness are Hotel Pillows?
When it comes to firmness, most hotel style pillows have a medium-firm firmness, however, there are soft hotel style pillows available.
Last update on 2023-12-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API